Evening in the Country...

Evening in the Country...
...a gorgeous view of the WV mountains I get to enjoy everyday. Also the place Bri proposed earlier this year! [Not taken on that day.]

Monday, October 27, 2008

Taking Apart the Fedora

So I have this old fedora hat that has too many memories to keep around. Also it's pink and let's be realistic - I am not going to wear a bright pink fedora hat anytime (if ever) soon. Oh and I forgot to mention the silver buckle has tarnished since its last wearing. Thus I have decided to rip apart the fedora to make a pattern! I noticed while ripping it apart the seams are only 3/8 inch.

Below you can see the steps I took in taking apart the fedora.



I began with the inside band.







Which revealed that the band was covering the raw edges of the top and brim being sewn together.








Next I detached the brim from the top portion.









Here you can see the tarnished silver buckle and bias strap with a centered ribbon.






Here is after the brim is detached and you can see how there is bias binding covering the raw edges of the top.







Here I am detaching the bias strip. The strap was covering the raw edge of the top.







Here you can see how the bias trim is connected to the top.








I am beginning to detach the bias trim.









One of the last things to do was taking apart the bottom and top sections of the brim and undoing the 6 stitching lines. The brim was covered with bias tape made from the pink fashion fabric. The bias tape was topstitched into place to cover the raw edges of the brim.


Here are all my pieces (excluding the four sections of the brim) laid out. As you can see I will need to iron out the seam allowances. I will proceed to copy the sections onto pattern paper.

No comments: