Evening in the Country...

Evening in the Country...
...a gorgeous view of the WV mountains I get to enjoy everyday. Also the place Bri proposed earlier this year! [Not taken on that day.]

Monday, November 22, 2010

The Karl Lagerfeld Diet

     Karl Lagerfeld is an insightful, multi-talented character.  I say character because I have never seen a celebrity quite like him.  I recently completed his book from 2002 The Karl Lagerfeld Diet.  It is a memoir of sorts from his days of dieting with Dr. Jean-Claude Houdret's help.

He lost 92 pounds, that is something to recollect.  



Dr. Jean-Claude Houdret invented the Spoonlight program. It helped to transform Karl into the slim man that he maintains today. 


     He has faith in himself, he knows he can do anything he wants.  Many people put down his viewpoints on dieting, but they are direct and it got him where he is today.  Here is a photo of Mr. Lagerfeld before his diet:

Hard to believe, I know

     There is a significant difference, to say the least.  Here a few of my fav snippets from his book:

"If you attach no importance to weight problems, if not being able to wear new, trendy small-sized clothes does not cause you any regret, this book is not for you." - KL

"Above all you must be convinced of your ability to succeed.  There is no hurry.  You have no deadline for a new life!" - KL

"At first your closest friends (or loves) should not even know that you have decided to make yourself over.  You will have plenty of time to discuss it later but, to begin with, it must be a secret pact with yourself." - KL

"There comes a moment in life when the idea of youth and beauty has to give way to style and elegance." - KL

"Start your diet during a period of optimism and happiness.  You will have to detach yourself form your physical being for a period of time and you will need to regard your social environment as unimportant." - KL

"One fine morning I woke up and decided that I was no longer happy with my physique.  I had gotten along fine with being overweight and had no health problems, but I suddenly wanted to dress differently, to wear clothes designed by Hedi Slimae, who used to work for Saint Laurent and now creates the Dior Homme collections." - KL

"I would never have thought it possible to achieve this result without feeling the least bit tired.  Today, however, I work better than ever and I am never tired.  I have seven undisturbed hours of sleep a night - without using sleeping pills." - KL

"It was myself I was no longer satisfied with.  I was starting to say to myself, “You work in fashion and fashion means change.  If you don’t like your image, you only have to change it.  It’s not a matter of going back to what you used to be.”  So it was for totally superficial reasons that I got started on this diet." - KL

"It doesn’t bother me that I am getting old and wrinkled.  I don’t want to be young and cute, but there is a certain attitude that I like, which my father still had at the age of ninety.  That’s not to say I won't change my mind, but if that does happen, it will mean that the spirit has commanded the flesh to go there." - KL


"I started my treatment in the same way you approach religion, with faith and determination but without any qualms."  - KL

I did not include any from Dr. Jean-Claude Houdret.  He was very informative on health issues and why this program will work.  He also hits notes about plastic surgery and how it is not the answer.

     This is a good read, fresh compared to most diet books, but most will not take him serious considering Lagerfeld's view is very fashionable, and America's disdain for France.  I have to say that I enjoy and commend Lagerfeld on his way of life.  If that makes me the least bit superficial, which is does, then so be it.  Or maybe, that is just confidence taking over for a brief moment.

No comments: