Evening in the Country...

Evening in the Country...
...a gorgeous view of the WV mountains I get to enjoy everyday. Also the place Bri proposed earlier this year! [Not taken on that day.]

Monday, November 22, 2010

Sunday Potato Soup

     It was a beautiful day, a day to sit back, relax, and read until my eyes hurt.  It was also a day to make a lovely breakfast.  Well, it is actually lunch in our house!  We had lovely fried potatoes, bacon, homemade biscuits, and scrumptious gravy.  For dinner (or lunch, depending on your viewpoint) I made a fast and yummy potato soup.  

Romanian Potato Soup (Not mine...but similar visually)

     Nothing can quite compare to a spicy soup on a lazy day.  Spicy only because my hand shakes too much cayenne from its container.  Thanksgiving is only a few days away and keeping meals light is a must.  Preparation is key.  As is fasting after the meal!  

     I decided to chop up two medium potatoes.  I grabbed one large carrot and peeled it.  Once peeled, I peeled thin discs from the carrot and set it aside.  Crunching approximately eight good-sized cloves of garlic and cutting those up roughly before tossing it in one can of simmering chicken broth (99% fat-free, no MSG, low sodium).



     Tossing everything in the pot, along with two more cans of chicken broth and the water I kept the potatoes in.  Everything may now boil for a long while.  Bri wanted noodles, so I found a bit of Wacky Mac.

     I should let you know I would have added celery and onions but I haven't gone to the store yet (I know, what am I waiting for?  It is Thanksgiving in a few days!), so everything we had available went into the pot.

     My next step was adding parsley, cayenne, thyme, basil, rosemary, Himalayan salt, and freshly ground pepper. Did I mention I added loads of parsley?  Because that is exactly what I do when I make soup.  Once the pot was ready, I added the colorful Wacky Mac and a half of a can of chicken broth.  My last step includes the second half of the chicken broth.  I toss in a package of country gravy mix, whip it around and toss it in the soup.  It needed a second pack but it maintained a nice thickness that went well with the soup.


     You know the soup is good when your husband goes back for seconds.  Then I save the rest for lunch this week.  It is amazing that the price of lunch has gone from $4 each day - five years ago - to approximately $6 per day, in my personal experience.  Therefore, I need to buy less lunch and eat more leftovers.  Really, I'm the winner in this situation.

Maybe Frog Soup next Sunday?

No comments: