Evening in the Country...

Evening in the Country...
...a gorgeous view of the WV mountains I get to enjoy everyday. Also the place Bri proposed earlier this year! [Not taken on that day.]

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Jemima J

I have been doing a lot of reading lately. The Seamstress of Hollywood Boulevard and Seamstress and now I am completing an oldie but a goody by Jane Green entitled Jemima J. This is a story of a woman journalist working in a lower end newspaper in England that weighs a couple of hundred pounds (and then some). She has an infatuation with a fellow reporter and is best friends with another reporter. The story follows Jemima while she loses her weight and becomes a buxom blond. It's an uplifting story with a tragic plot and is written so well that this is my sixth time reading it since its release in 1999. My book is dog eared with yellow pages but that does not change the story and how she overcomes her fears to find true love.

The other two books I mentioned above, The Seamstress of Hollywood Boulevard and Seamstress, are newer released books that I picked up at the library a few weeks ago. They both deal with young women who are expert seamstresses and follow their dreams to do just that for a living. Both books have plots that are in the 1920s, one set in Brazil and the other in Hollywood. They are books that make you want to get up and go sew!

Of course that isn't to say I haven't been sewing - because I have. It is just that the jersey black/cream polka dot dress I dreamed of a few weeks ago is NOT going according to plan! I believe I used the wrong size zigzag stitch and also the wrong needle and also the wrong...

you get my point! I am much too embarrassed to show pictures of the work -much less take a photo of the mistakes. I still am not able to find my sewing machine instruction manual to figure how to use the double needle or even the ball point jersey needle! So this weekend has called for a house cleaning and organizing which I did begin...only to make an even more ginormous mess!

You see, I like to be organized to the point where every knick-knack has a place to go. It is just that there is so many knick-knacks and thingamajigs with whatchamacallits that there will never be enough room. I did get all of my books on their shelves but still have a million copies of patterns and projects that need to be organized!

So now I am being lazy and about to start making bias tape for a microsuede purse I have been aching to finish for months (upon months)!

On to more cleaning...or sewing...

1 comment:

Jolena said...

Jemima J. sounds wonderful! I am going to have to read that one! Glad to see a new post from you too.. I've missed reading them :) Don't fret about the organizing.. it will come together.. and if not.. you always have something to do! Brad told me you were making cupcakes yesterday.. yummy!!!!! :)